Thursday, April 11, 2013

city days. our days in sydney have be super full, hanging out with family, visiting a couple of exhibitions and eating really well.

the service for my aunt on monday went really well. it was a sad day but I smiled and laughed a lot too, as I listened to some of the speeches and tributes at her wake that illuminated so many different aspects of her life. I even braved the crowd to say a few words. the chapel was packed, and many people had to stand for the whole service. seeing so many people was really heartening. 

I feel like I've learnt a lot about love these last few weeks and months. the passing of my aunt has inadvertently shone a light on the amazing support networks that stand behind each person in my family. on monday, my dad's boss came to the service, as did tony's father, to show their support. and the day after the funeral, one of my best friends made a point of bringing around her new baby to meet my mum as a way of cheering her up. the night before the service, I'd asked my cousin whether any of his school friends would need help getting to and from the service, only to find out that his school had organised a bus. what an incredible world we live in. 

here's my lunch from today, a very decadent penne carbonara from the art gallery cafe. emphasis on the carb. I think I felt dizzy from salt, cream and starch for a few hours afterwards but it was worth it. the weather was beautiful today and we caught up with my cousin and uncle to see art express at the art gallery of nsw, along with the archibald prize. my cousin is in his final year of school and is studying art and tony's been helping him from time to time with the development of his major work. so our visit was a good excuse to go check out last year's hsc exhibition.

I haven't seen art express for about 5 years and found this year's exhibition especially sophisticated and engaging. here's a knitted owl head from one of the works.



later this afternoon, we walked through the botanical gardens to check out the 13 rooms installation, which is made of up 13 individual rooms of performance art. I had mixed feelings about the show, but I did like this recreation of one of damien hirst's works.

only a few days left in our sydney stay and still lots lots more to do.

hope you're having a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment