Saturday, March 23, 2013

chicken, olive and quinoa rolls - a recipe. after a week eating out in the city, I'm very excited to be making my own food again.

this is my very first recipe post, when I moved out of home I was a confident cake baker but couldn't really cook much else. the very first time I made tony dinner, I made a vegetable stir fry and I was so nervous that I measured out all of the ingredients into takeaway containers, which I took to his house to cook up. he was pretty confused.

suzi made these great chicken rolls when we last met for a picnic. they were so good I tried to replicate them later in the week and we've been taking them for lunches ever since.

ingredients
2 chicken thighs, cut into small chunks
1 lemon wedge
salt and pepper
1 cup of quinoa 
2 cups of cold water
a handful or rocket or baby spinach leaves
one tomato, sliced
a scoop of pitted kalamata olives
some homemade baba ghanoush (we've been smoking our eggplant on the bbq)
some bread rolls (I've been using this burger bun recipe and freezing the buns for burger nights and lunches)
pesto (optional)

to make
first rinse the quinoa in a smalish saucepan and add 2 cups of water to the pan. bring to the boil and then simmer until all of the water is absorbed, which should take about 10 minutes. season the sliced chicken pieces with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon, then fry it in a frypan on medium heat. we have some garlic infused olive oil in the pantry so I use that for extra flavour.

add the cooked chicken to the quinoa saucepan when it is done and then mix through a few tablespoons of olives.

to make the rolls, spread some baba ghanoush over the base of your bun, add the chicken, olive and quinoa mix, then add a few slices of tomato, some cracked pepper and some baby spinach or rocket leaves. pesto is great on the top of the burger bun if you have some in your fridge.


 ta da! that's it. we usually have enough filling for at least 4 rolls. quinoa is so tiny and messy that you're best not cutting the bun all the way through, like a burger otherwise you'll get quinoa stuck in your keyboard or in your lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment